BMed MMed (ClinEpi) FRACP AFRACMA
Special clinical interest
Gynaecologic cancer, genitourinary cancer, breast cancer, head and neck cancer, cancer survivorship.
Chemotherapy, immunotherapy, targeted therapies.
Dr Lawrence Kasherman is a Medical Oncologist with a special interest in gynaecologic, genitourinary, breast, and head and neck cancers. He is passionate about delivering quality, evidence-based care to patients, and is a strong advocate for research and involvement in clinical trials. He is also a Staff Specialist Medical Oncologist at Wollongong Hospital, and is an active member is several multidisciplinary cancer care meetings across Wollongong and the Royal Hospital for Women.
Dr Kasherman obtained his medical degree from the University of Newcastle in 2012, subsequently completing Masters of Medicine in Clinical Epidemiology at the University of Sydney in 2016. He completed subspecialty training in Medical Oncology at St George, Prince of Wales and Wollongong Hospitals. After obtaining Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians in 2020, Dr Kasherman completed a 2-year clinical research fellowship with the Gynaecology and Drug Development Group at the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre in Toronto, Canada, gaining experience in treating patients affected by rare cancers and contributing to the development of clinical trials focused on new anti-cancer drugs. At SMDCC and Wollongong Hospitals, Dr Kasherman is an investigator on numerous clinical trials, and is an active member of the Australia and New Zealand Gynaecological Oncology Group (ANZGOG) Uterine Tumour Type Working Group, and Endometrial Cancer Research Initiative.
Growing up speaking Indonesian at home, Dr Kasherman’s research interests now include caring for patients of culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds. He is a PhD candidate at the University of Sydney focusing on improving cancer survivorship outcomes in patients of CALD backgrounds.
In his spare time, he enjoys making music as a participating member of Soulfood A Cappella choir and playing piano for events.
Research, Awards and Teaching Interests
- PhD candidate, University of Sydney / Concord Hospital, supported by a Postgraduate Scholarship from the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC).
- Other research interests: acupuncture in treatment of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy; GP shared-care models of survivorship.
- Woodford R, Prather L, Helfer C, Davey L, Penas-Prado M, Armstrong T, Tucker K, Aldape K, Gilbert M, Clark C, Thavaneswaran S, Wang D, Mandel J, Kasherman L. Malignant melanocytic schwannian tumor and leptomeningeal disease: A case series with a focus on management, J Neurol Sci. 2022;438:120291.
- Kasherman L, Siu DHW, Woodford R, Harris CA. Angiogenesis Inhibitors and Immunomodulation in Renal Cell Cancers: The Past, Present, and Future. Cancers. 2022 Mar 9;14(6):1406.
- Kasherman L, Liu S, Karakasis K, Lheureux S. Angiogenesis: A Pivotal Therapeutic Target in the Drug Development of Gynecologic Cancers. Cancers. 2022; 14(5):1122.
- Kasherman L, Karakasis K, Oza AM. With Our Powers Combined: Exploring PARP Inhibitors and Immunotherapy. Cancer J. 2021 Nov-Dec 01;27(6):511-520.
- Madariaga A, Kasherman L, McMullen M, Bonilla L. Comment on evolutionary dynamics of cancer multidrug resistance in response to olaparib and photodynamic therapy. Transl Oncol. 2021;15(1):101249.
- Woodford, R, Lu, M, Beydoun, N, Cooper, W, Liu, Q, Lynch, J, Kasherman L. Disseminated intravascular coagulation complicating diagnosis of ROS1-mutant non-small cell lung cancer: A case report and literature review. Thorac Cancer. 2021; 1– 4.
- Kasherman L, Madariaga A (co-primary), Liu Q, Bonilla L, McMullen M, Liu SL, Wang L, Fazelzad R, Karakasis K, Heesters A, Oza AM. Ethical Frameworks in Clinical Research Processes during COVID-19: A Scoping Review. BMJ Open 2021;11:e047076.
- Madariaga A, Bhat G, Wilson MK, Li X, Cyriac S, Bowering V, Ms WH, Mr DG, Bonilla L, Kasherman L, McMullen M, Wang L, Ghai S, Dhani NC, Oza AM, Lheureux S. Research Biopsies in patients with gynecologic cancers: patient-reported outcomes, perceptions and preferences. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2021 Jun 23:S0002-9378(21)00706-7. Epub ahead of print.
- Kasherman L, Garg S (co-primary), Tchrakian N, Clarke B, Karakasis K, Kim R, Stockley TL, Dhani N, Oza AM, Lheureux S. Can TP53 variant negative be high-grade serous ovarian carcinoma? A case series. Gyne Onc Reports. 2021. Epub ahead of print.
- Liu S, Kasherman L, Fazelzad R, Wang L, Bouchard-Fortier G, Lheureux S, Krzyzanowska MK. The use of bevacizumab in the modern era of targeted therapy for ovarian cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Gynecol Oncol. 2021 Feb 2:S0090-8258(21)00088-3. doi: 10.1016/j.ygyno.2021.01.028. Epub ahead of print.
- Kasherman L, Doi J, Karakasis K, Schiff J, Kitchlu A, Lheureux S, Oza AM. Angiogenesis Inhibitors as Anti-Cancer Therapy Following Renal Transplantation: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Curr Oncol. 2021 Jan 22;28(1):661-670. doi: 10.3390/curroncol28010064.
- Kasherman L, Ahrari S, Lheureux S. Dostarlimab in the treatment of recurrent or primary advanced endometrial cancer. Future Oncol. 2020 Nov 30. doi: 10.2217/fon-2020-0655. Epub ahead of print.
- Madariaga, A, Kasherman, L (co-primary), Karakasis, K, et al. Optimizing clinical research procedures in public health emergencies. Med Res Rev. 2020; 1– 14.
- Kasherman L, Madariaga A, Rouzbahman M, Murphy K, Shultz D, Stockley T, Oza AM. Across barriers: poly ADP-ribose polymerase inhibitors beyond progression in high-grade serous ovarian cancer with brain metastases. International Journal of Gynecologic Cancer. Published Online First: 30 September 2020.
- Madariaga A, Kasherman L, Han K, Lheureux S, Oza AM. Adjuvant treatment in early stage cervical cancer—does more equal better? International Journal of Gynecologic Cancer. 2020;30:1467-1468.
- Lee KWC, Lord SJ, Kasherman L, Marschner I, Stockler M, Gralla R, Yang JC-H, Mok T, Lee CK. The impact of smoking on the effectiveness of immune checkpoint inhibitors – a systematic review and meta-analysis. Acta Oncologica. 2020; 59:1, 96-100.
- Kasherman L, Siu DHW, Lee KWC, Lord S, Marschner I, Lewis CR, Friedlander M, Lee CK. Efficacy of immune checkpoint inhibitors in older adults with advanced stage cancers: A meta-analysis. J Geriatr Oncol. 2020; 11 (3): 508-514.
- Kasherman L, Foy A, Tierney A, Reeves GEM, Tran HA. Case Report. Primary hypothyroidism masquerading as hepatocellular necrosis. Q J Med 2013;65:340-355